PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - last 727 Pax Flight
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 16:50
NWA SLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding TWA 841 in 1979, it is inaccurate to say the airplane suffered no structural damage. It suffered substantial structural damage but was able to be repaired. CVR had mysteriously been erased, Captain "Hoot" Gibson was never cleared. Word through the aviation mechanics network was the FE was "fooling around" with a flight attendant who accidentally extended the #7 slat at FL 390. Most reports only state substantial damage but living by the TWA overhaul base at the time, I remember wings needing to be replaced. In a trial that awarded a passenger $50,000 in emotional distress, the court record state the wings were bent and the fuselage was wrinkled, yet it was repaired. Also testimony states the FE was in the lavatory at the time but as the CVR had been erased the crew was left with a less than honorable legacy. Still the 727 withstood a 6g loading yet recovered for a safe landing. Emotional distress? I would have accepted sitting in the bar with a free tab until a flight was arranged to take me on to MSP, the 727's destination.