PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 15:44
PerPurumTonantes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by runway30
I share the sense of outrage at this stupid loss of life. However, can you tell me what you would ban/regulate to stop it happening?
That's always the kneejerk response. Something bad happens, jobsworths and armchair experts fall over each other looking for things to ban, regulate, and bury in paperwork.

Situation (we think): Complacent pilot makes bad decisions, drives plane into water. That's his responsibility, and he's had the ultimate punishment for it.
Problem: He had someone innocent with him that did not know the risks.
Solution: Tell people what the risks are.

The fact that this is all over every newspaper and website is a good start! What a lesson. Everyone in the country knows not to take a SEP over the Channel in bad weather in winter. Even the decorator who's painting my walls just now brought it up today.

If there was going to be any regulation, how about this. Any private pilot taking a passenger must email them a list of all the ways this flight is more dangerous than a commercial jet, together with a photo and summary of a related accident.

eg:
This aircraft does not have anti-icing equipment.
This aircraft does not have TAWS. TAWS warns the pilot when the aircraft is too close to the ground.
This aircraft does not have TCAS. TCAS is a collision avoidance system.
Your pilot is not IFR qualified. This means he/she can only fly where they have a clear view ahead and of the ground. Flight through clouds is prohibited.

...etc. And if the passenger still wants to go ahead, that's their risk.