PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 14:32
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yet using the 'Wingly' principle, as long as this is a cost sharing and by that I mean the pilot contributes something towards the flight even though it is a few pounds, the UK CAA see this as legal.
I may not be up to date with the latest legislation but I thought with cost sharing the pilot had to pay at least 50% and there was a maximum all up weight permitted for such a flight. Perhaps someone will point us to the latest legislation?

I share the sense of outrage at this stupid loss of life. However, can you tell me what you would ban/regulate to stop it happening?
Better regulation by the relevant aviation authority but this means more infrastructure and staff = extra money required although I agree it's difficult to police. That said I believe CAA issued a leaflet some years ago about this issue so the passengers were more informed.

Without prejudice to this accident I always say a good yardstick is how you'd feel about next of kin being a passenger on a flight. If my son had called me on the phone and asked for advice about a flight such as this I would strongly warn against and advise him to hotac and go with a well known budget airline to Bristol and get a cab to Cardiff.

Also on this type of flight there is usually the human factor element of the pilot being under pressure to complete the mission. Non aviators often do not understand that flights sometimes have to be cancelled due weather etc. It's best to explain right from the onset that it might not go ahead and ask the passenger(s) what their plan B is. This primes them up if you have to cancel on the day.

Last edited by fireflybob; 23rd Jan 2019 at 14:43.