PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyBMI self sponsored Embraer 145 course
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 12:25
VariablePitchP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread, or very similar, was done to death a month or so ago (if you can find it it’s quite an interesting read).

Essentially, a third of people went down the line of ‘how dare you not be willing to cut out two kidneys and lose a leg to fly any airplane going. Back in my day we took any job even with a salary of four turnips a year and loved every minute’. All fairly pathetic, and rather bitter.

The other two thirds, and my opinion, take it but only if you can genuinely see yourself buzzing around in a 145 medium to long term. Why? Well with that type rating you’re not going to be jumping into a legacy with ease anytime soon. Not only is the type rating pretty much useless in Europe, it’s also ludicrously priced. As much as I hate everything the company stands for, Ryanair will type you on a 737 and get you command in a similar timeframe (for which you will be paid double what BMI would likely give you) for only 5K, a quarter of the price!!

If it were me, I’d pass. I’d ignore all the miserable folk telling you that it’s a sin to want to fly a shiny jet, and I’d go and get a 320 or a 737 rating. I’d do that knowing I could go to a legacy in 3-4 years, I’d be earning reasonable money and I’d be in a much much stronger position should my airline go bust.

Horses for courses yes, but I hope you can see my point...