PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - for what's it worth
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 02:23
joe falchetto 64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I shall say that this never ending debate of Airbus vs Boeing is starting to annoying me. I started flying around 35 years ago, military engine fast jet, single pilot, low level attack bomber, 1960 technology (!) that meaned to fly with compass and clock below 500 ft at 400 knts in a very continuously changing environment (mountains and rivers, clouds and rain and fog). After that, B 707 tanker (no, not the KC 135, the real B 707 320 C, training done in Air France Training Center and Lufthansa Training Center). After quitting the Air Force flying club, I flew commercially the B 737 (either the classic, 300 and 400 than the NG for few flight hours) the MD 82/83/88 and the A 320/321, the last one till today as a matter of fact. Unfortunately I did miss any wide body experience, but I have been lucky enough to fly all around the world also in some strange places and to have experienced different kind of flying ( low level, aerobatic, test flight, commercial, flight instructor, TRI and TRE). That said, I am now really happy to fly the A 320: it took me a little bit to adapt with open mind to the aircraft features and characteristics, and took me around 1500 flight hours to change from the newbie A 320 captain ("What is this aircraft doing!") to the average A 320 captain ("Ah, he is doing that again"). He is comfortable, flies very well, and it is a pleasure to fly manually; someone argues that the autopilot is nor really disengaged in any Airbus, but that is true of every fly-by-wire aircraft: ever tried the F 18?. So please, stop with this debate: I like the Boeing wide-bodies as well as the A 350 XWB, and for me the B 737 is a pleasure to fly manually but it is a pain in the a** when it comes to 4 sectors in a long and foggy or raining or windy day.