PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can I fly an airplane in the UK with an FAA PPL?
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 13:01
Grelly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ebbie 2003
I am still as confused about this as I was two years ago.

In October 2017, with the info here I visited Earls Colne - I am an FAA PPL and I would like to rent on of your airplanes, a PA28 I own one and have lots of recent time.

They referred me to their expert CFI, who informed me that no I could not rent one of their airplanes and that my licence and experience were woryhless, I would need to do their PPL course etc etc. he even gave me the 40 hours nonsense.
This is a bit of a moving target, but AIUI there are currently multiple options.
1. Convert to a Euro Licence. This is IMHO the worst option unless you live here and/or plan to fly a lot. Again, various options:
a) UK NPPL (ask the LAA for details, but I think they assess your experience and come up with a differences training plan)
b) EASA PPL. You need a minimum of 100 hours total time, plus a (Euro I think) class II medical.
2. Validate your licence. Google SRG2140 and possibly SRG2142.
3. Fly UK registered (sometime called permit aircraft) on your FAA licence. Not many of these available to rent. If you are ok with tail draggers, try the Tiger Club.
4. Possibly some other options I can't remember.
Note that if you intend to use the Radio, you will need an Aircraft Radio Licence (Google FRTOL)

That's my understanding...