PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Controller Pilot Data Link Communications (CPDLC) Pacific Oceanic Airspace
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 00:04
None

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oceanic airspace is typically inclusive with some noteworthy exceptions. What I mean by this is that there will typically be some mechanism to accommodate lesser equipped flights, but you might not like the timing or Flight Level that you get assigned if you are not equipped. The only exception to this is the North Atlantic High Level Airspace (formerly known as NAT MNPS airspace) which has Data Link Mandatory requirements...no exception...at certain higher Flight Levels. You can find this information here https://www.icao.int/EURNAT/EUR%20an...1968B24E18655C

All other oceanic airspace does not require FANS (CPDLC & ADS-C), though in many areas of the Pacific it will afford you a much more suitable route or Flight Level due to smaller (30/30) separation requirements.

You can also review each oceanic theater requirements in your Jepps or LIDO manuals (or whoever you subscribe to). I'm sure you understand that many companies do not permit us to copy/paste or otherwise share information in our company manuals, so the above link to the ICAO EUR NAT office is the best I can offer you. The ICAO APAC (Asia-Pacific) office may be of further help for you...though I doubt it. https://www.icao.int/apac/pages/default.aspx

Originally Posted by rsiano
I am presently instructing in the class room for FlightSafety International in Wilmington DE. I received a question from one of my clients asking if Controller Pilot Data Link Communications capability is a requirement in the Pacific Oceanic Airspace. I spent more than an hour Searching for an answer on the Internet with no luck. Are you aware of a source that will provide the correct answer to my clients question? Please use my personal e-mail address of: [email protected] to reply.

Thanks!

Captain R. P. Siano

Richard P. Siano, 602 Fonthill Drive, Apartment G-2, Doylestown, Pennsylvania, 18901-3934

(908)642-4444
[email protected]