PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guard Duty
Thread: Guard Duty
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2019, 21:29
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BEagle
1. Sensible of the chap on guard to get witnesses - avoids further problems if the rebuffed woman were to make a counter claim.
2. The woman was undoubtedly given a sound "Wise up and don't get so drunk that you lose your inhibitions in future" debrief as well as a 3 month warning.
3. Her mates should have looked after her and stopped her nonsense PDQ rather then letting her make such an idiot of herself.
4. The 'angry colleagues' who tipped off military police officers after learning that the woman was only handed a warning are the ones who should 'man up'. I imagine that they will have had a gypsy's to that effect?
5. The CO exercised sound judgement, in my opinion. All subordinates should have accepted his ruling - and not have gone squealing to the press.
6. Time to move on for all concerned.
Agreed, and in the past during Command appointments, 'there but for the grace of God' has crossed my mind when considering alcohol related issues given that like most, my friends and I enjoyed a beverage or 2 as JOs.

However, we are unfortunately no longer in an era where common sense and proportion can be taken into account when dealing with incidents. The Armed Forces push equality in all its aspects hard, and CDS is very anti-drink. Had the tables been turned and had it been a male on female rather than female on male issue I'm almost certain he'd be looking at a more serious outcome. Yes, it probably is 'one of those things' that most of us who joined in an earlier era would raise a smile at and think 'if only'. But it does nothing to convince me that the MOD has little more than a tick box mentality towards equality and discrimination.