PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wonderful JU 52 about to be grounded .... by LH‘s saving frenzy?
Old 21st Jan 2019, 19:50
OvertHawk

Received 120 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Daysleeper
What is your definition of safe?
What is a Lufthansa customer's definition of safe?
How does the hazards associated with an 80 year old aircraft compare with a modern fleet?
How would the loss of a Lufthansa branded (and operated) JU-52 and its passengers affect customer perception of the brand?
What is the Lufthansa board's definition of safe?
How do the individual members of the main board feel about holding civil (and potentially) criminal liability for the risk level associated with the JU-52 operation?
Which was exactly the point I was making!

Your points are mostly well made, certainly those that relate to the branding of LH, passenger expectation and board risk tolerance. If I was on the board of LH I'd probably advise them against operating the aircraft.

As for how the hazards of a well managed historic fleet stack up against a modern fleet - well why don't you ask the pax on the brand new 737X that crashed in Indonesia recently?

I come back to my original point that historic aircraft can be operated well within a risk band that is acceptable to many people and that is easily as safe as a great many modern civil air transport operations.