PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-2
Thread: Manchester-2
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2019, 18:47
Jetaway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Plane.Silly
@ Jetaway

It does raise an interesting point. From the start, there will be an increase in traffic, that parts a given. ONce the sceheme fully kicks in however, i can see this being slightly more beneficial.
In particular, the 'convoy plan', where if all the cars are autonomous, they can drive a lot closer to each other and when the front 'pod' wants to brake, all the others will get the same command, so it would almost work like a train. Compare than to norml driver who have to leave a larger gap inbetween cars to allow for reaction times.
Another big concern would be the price. I could see something like this being a lot more expensive, at least from the outset than driving to/from and parking, maybe something reserved for business/ first class pax only?
At the same time, it's nice to see that MAN is looking to the future and embracing this new technology, which as a fan of autonomous vehicles, i applaud them for
I dont think it would work from Stockport the Council need to pull their finger out and get on Tram/Train link from Stockport to the Airport it would make life alot easier for passengers. I think this could work from the car parks with the MAN TP this would be the perfect opportunity to implement something along these lines. The experiment at LHR shows that this works. But on guideways rather than the open road there are just too many things that could go wrong.