PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian cuts
Thread: Norwegian cuts
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2019, 11:39
AirportPlanner1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daz211
Always strikes me as odd, when an airline decides To go up against the big boys with Longhaul. most will say I have my own engender but a money maker would be a base at Stansted, no competition no price to under cut, I’m not saying pull out of Gatwick just run it along side. Im not wanting this to turn into “longhaul doesn’t work at Stansted”, primera was very popular whilst it lasted. just my opinion nothing more nothing less.
I’m a Stansted “fan” as I’m local but I’m afraid that argument is a little simplistic because you need to look at the wider context. On certain high volume routes that generate significant numbers of UK-based pax - I’m thinking NY, Dubai, Orlando for example - it’s possible that a small premium could be charged for convenience. However, there is a ceiling for this because otherwise people will just book from rival airports instead. For other routes with thinner markets that need to draw custom from across the south and from the destination, you have to match the competition or you won’t get any passengers. An American sitting in Austin doesn’t care whether they land in Gatwick or Stansted unless one was much cheaper than the other.

Thats not to say long haul wouldnt work at STN because I believe it can, but to do so for greater profitability on the basis of escaping competition is flawed.