PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 controlability-questions & surprises.
Old 20th Jan 2019, 18:03
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

TNX, 'bird.

As to "stretch" in the cables, there must be some kinda "tensioning" component to the cable runs, as well as the circuitous route the cables must take, as 'bird mentioned. So using a spring for the models seems O.K.

Both 'bird and I and some others here flew the military lites, and we had zero cables or even pushrods to the control surfaces. They were moved by irreversible hydraulic actuators according to the hyraulic pressure exerted from us moving the stick or yoke. In my last jet, we had constant pressure to the servo-actuators conmtrolled by electrical signals Hal sent there according to our commands (and his), hence "the electric jet". So modeling the "cables" does not apply.

As far as rolling the plane for runaway trim, that's a player for nose up. Might be uncomfortable for the SLF, but gives you a little time to use trim wheel or button, or turn off the system. Nose down is a bear, 'cause you would have to roll inverted.

The 737 wing shape ( camber/washout/sweep) and the relatively small elevator are players here. The plane apparently has a low critical mach before having "nose tuck" problems. And then there's the elevator effectiveness once at or above that mach number. So the advice to use trim when having pitch problems is good advice. Yeager used his mechanical pitch trim for the stabilizer before losing control because his elevator didn't work right once the shock waves came into play. He told me that this problem was not understood at the time, but an engineer told him about the possibility. When the opportunity arose, he trimmed his way back under control ( "luck is when preparation meets opportunity") As a result, our fighters went to all-moving stabilzers for pitch. This was facilitated by the irreversible hydraulics to move the stab as I mentioned earlier.

Gums comments....