PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private Charter quick question.
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2019, 00:46
flopzone

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the robust replies, I knew I could count on all of you. Apologies for a typo, I meant to say $2 per km.

A few years ago I hired a single from Moorabbin to Sale and it was only $800 same day return in a single 4 seater Cessna.
That was fun, the door didnt lock properly and as the aircraft was used for a lot of photo work, the window was dodgy too and blew open half way,
So I had to try and shut this window that opened upwards, whilst not leaning on the door that was about to fly open too.
All whilst worrying about how tight my seatbelt was. It was a lot of fun, the pilot couldnt do it for me. So you can see why I like flying so much..

So that was 400km as the crow flies or thereabouts so $2 per km with the pilot being paid instructor rates.

Bend alot, the three dog example, perhaps I dint explain properly, I was tired. I was giving an example, of carrying pets in a commercial aircraft.

The dogs are only 20kg each, I would stick em in a cage each in the back and away we go.

When I paid the $800, a UBER was the same price, a pvt taxi same, they all charge abt $400 for 3 hrs driving all up, so I flew.

So that is the reason I thought abt $2 per km which is $4800 which sounded reasonable to me. Thats the same cost to have a 20ft container freighted the same trip.
$4800 is $1600 each. Given I have to pay for the return flight empty its only 800 each one way. The way I think which is good value for a pvt flight.

Bendalot, the three dog example was given as an example of what can happen with a major carrier. If ten ppl want to fly their dogs on the one aircraft, its not happening. If Great Dane is already booked on your flight, a budgie aint going. So if the carriage of my dogs on same commercial flight cant be guaranteed the risk is increased, thats where the jetpets etc make their money. I am sure they are a fine organisation but when your labour costs are 40k a week and you lease several areas/properties thats a huge cost before you make a cent, so the profit margin has to be HUGE.
Yes businesses have to make a profit.
One of the pet transport organisers has a list of all the configurations on each type of aircraft in Australia and how many of what size cages they can take, oils aint oils.

Get in plane, fly, have lunch, fly, get off. PIlot has a nice feed and a sleep in a motel, flies has lunch flies, goes home to bed. I thought that made sense. Blame CASA if it doesnt.

The dogs are valuable, not only to me but commercially. Not Lear Jet value, but Cessna value for sure.

The dogs would sit in a car all day, me backs rooted so I cant.