PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian cuts
Thread: Norwegian cuts
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2019, 18:02
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing to do with Brexit, but it suits many management to blame it.
Many politicians too, including some who blamed the EU before the referendum.
I can remember when the minimum wage was proposed, those against it made headlines about a massive rise in unemployment which never happened. Now we have companies appearing on the TV complaining about how their wage bills will rise due to a lack of unlimited cheap labour and in fact a labour shortage.
There is no question that free movement from countries with much lower wages has driven down wages as well. This was not a problem before 2004.
Well I hope they do rise as too many people are struggling to make ends meet but parliament will water down Brexit so much that it will be in name only. No wonder the EU is remaining firm when there are those that undermine our negotiating position from day one.
There is no reason why the EU should/would negotiate a reasonable agreement. Those who suggested that it would and/or that it may be "easy", would be those who know little about how it works: Boris, Michael Gove, etc.. Those who have been involved with the intricate workings of the EU such as previous negotiators Gisela Stuart and Peter Lilly, for example, said no such thing. Nigel Farage suggested that pressure would brought by European businesses for a sensible trade deal, but in two and half tears there have been no such negotiations, so we may never know.
In the south all of London's 6 airports are planning massive expansion so clearly they are not bothered as they can see further than April.
For every business whinging about Brexit and threatening to leave (but never actually doing so), there are many planning expansion.
If you read my first post which started all this you’ll see it was never suggested Norwegian’s woes are down to Brexit. The original poster enquired whether the charter flights Norwegian operate for TUI would be replaced by Air Europa etc. I said no because they are ditching third party flights due to lack of demand. Which apparently is nothing to do with Brexit either as Brexit is the sunny uplands..
Sunny uplands? Only possible with a proper Brexit. Brexit "in name only" and/or May's deal ("say no to no say") do not cut it.
Not everything is Brexit no, but a lot of things clearly are and in others it’s really not helping matters. I could go on giving tangible examples such as property sales being at a thirty year low but some people will argue black is white in defence of “the will of the people”, so I’ll just leave it there.
To quote John McEnroe: "What! You cannot be serious, the ball was in"
Oh dear God man! Did you in all seriousness blame the housing crisis on a vote to leave the EU? Housebuilding has been constrained for decades to keep prices HIGH, you can’t buy a house because we’re not building nearly enough and haven’t done since Thatcher
(1) The refusal (under Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron and May) to require councils to build adequate numbers of council houses including replacements for those sold under “right to buy”;
(2
) the “land banking” by big house builders to artificially force up property prices and the failure of planning regulations to prevent this; and
(3) the explosion of buy-to-let in recent years

have more to do with this rather than brexit (or the EU for that matter!)

I'm not going to join the "it is/isn't" down to Brexit debate but no one has mentioned the Sterling exchange rate.
Sterling exchange rates have been dire since the "crash" of 2008. The days of £1.00 = euro 1.70 or US$2.10 are long gone, it's not just since 2016.

BTW after all this time since the referendum, the UK is STILL in the EU.

Actually there is an argument that mass migration in some areas has helped create a housing shortage.
It did not CAUSE the housing crisis, but it definitely hasn't help to resolve it.