PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - last 727 Pax Flight
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2019, 14:18
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bafanguy
aterpster,

What didn't you like about the airplane ? Other than having to put your coffee cup on the floor.

Once you lose 50% of your hearing, the wind noise doesn't bother you anymore.
Poor takeoff performance at ABQ, DEN, and COS. The -100 would wallow at altitude in turbulence. I don't recall having to put the coffee cup on the floor. I also didn't like all the short legs that TWA had for the 727 fleet. I progressed to the 767, then 1011, both of which had CATIII fail-active and outstanding autoflight. The autopilot on the 727 was lousy. Late in the game we got 10 advanced -200s with an allegedly better autopilot. Yeah, right. It could do limited CATIII with no decrab. No one used that "feature."

A friend had an engine failure (-100) on ABQ Runway 26 (shed a tire into one of the outboard engines). It did not fly as advertised in the simulator. They turned down the Rio Grande and struggled for miles to get enough altitude to return for landing.

Also, TWA used the smallest engine on the entire 727 fleet, 14,500 pounds of thrust. I'm not good on engine model numbers. I have no doubt that had I had an engine failure after V1 on ABQ Runway 08, it would have been all over.