PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private Charter quick question.
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2019, 09:59
Bend alot

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by flopzone
Folks I was wondering if anyone had a ball park figure on a 1200k private charter from vic to sa.
I want to take me and two dogs, commercial airlines, its just not worth the effort and risk.
The complexities of various commercial aircrafts` pressurised cargo holds and limitations on cage sizes make it a royal pain in the arse to even begin to organise.
I was thinking about $1 per km in a single, but then the aircraft has to get back to where it came from, weather etc. I want to go in March.
Before you ask why I dont drive, its a house move, complicated enough as it is.
I want to avoid a 14 hr trip in a truck if I can so I can beat the truck to the destination.
1200 KM in 14 HRS in a truck!

Now that is not going to happen - The federal hours-of-service rules do not specifically limit the distance that can be driven in one day, but they do limit the number of hours that can be spent driving, as follows:
  • Drivers of property-carrying commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) are limited to 11 hours of driving after having 10 consecutive hours off duty. However, this is not a "daily" limit. Under this provision, a driver could hypothetically drive for 11 hours, take 10 hours off, and drive for another 3 hours before the end of the 24-hour day.

$1 per km on a 2,400 KM return on a piston single is a way under estimate - more like $2-$3 but that all depends on location to location costs like nav ,landing fuel and accommodation costs of the aircraft and pilot.

But the problem is the restraint of the dogs, that has now increased to three - the minimum I see is a C206 or GA8 able to do the job, neither are fast and you actually pay by the hour not KM.