PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tragic PA-28 crash in Swiss Alps
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2019, 07:46
His dudeness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Under Causes ("Ursachen", 3.2) they conclude, that a risky and unsuitable tactic for flying in mountainous areas was the primary cause. Then they say that letting the untrained pax fly by the non-FI pilot contributed directly to the accident. (with the info from the report I must say I disagree). Then they say that the organization contributed systematically to the accident, because they knew that this non FI would let the kids fly.

The pilot had "amassed" 100hrs in the last 10 years. 10 hrs a year fur then years when one only has 250 hrs definitely won´t make you the sharpest knife in the drawer. He also required 95 hrs (!) for the PPL. (is that normal in Switzerland ?) He trained from 2002 to 04.2005 and his mountain flying training was done during PPL - training in 2003. His total time was 349 hrs.

This is - just from these numbers - a person I wouldn´t let take my bicycle for a trip, let alone 2 kids, in THIS area.

The main reason for the crash is that they were simply out of performance for the aircraft with this load, altitude and temperature. Something that should have never happened
+ 1