PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So you need a new fleet Leigh?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2019, 09:10
Rated De

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dragon man
I feel now that I have smelt enough smoke to think this is credible. As I see it there are 3 options available not in any order.
1) Keep the 6 747-400 ERs for an extra couple of years, the advantage of this as I see it is that it keeps going to Haneda where despite the confidence (arrogance) of management I don’t see the Japanese allowing the 380 to go there.
2) Dry lease a number of 380s from Emerates , these would have to be repainted, also different pax configuration and engine type.
3) There is some smoke here I feel, get more 787s quicker. Told today that 787 training is ramping up with Singapore again to be utilised with QF instructors.

We live in interesting times.

Any change to the status quo is tacit acknowledgement that they got it wrong. Mr Goyder ought be watching as it is difficult to recall precisely what happened and when. With Little Napoleon's penchant for the limerick and a T-shirt wearing misfit and lawyers on the board he needs to be watching carefully.
  1. 20 October 2017 Qantas takes delivery of their first 787, line number 615. Ignoring the gifted 788 to JQ, literally hundreds were flying. Laden with free booze, soft corruption at its finest, no journalist pointed out that Geoff Dixon ordered the aircraft, the reference in Business traveler did mention that 'It’s been 4,329 days since Qantas first inked its deal for the Boeing 787' leaving out the fact that Little Napoleon hadn't ordered an air-frame.
  2. 5 January 2018 Fossil Chairman Leigh Clifford dribbled that it was the QSA 1992 limiting their capital raising and therefore fleet renewal. Ignoring the AUD $9.5 billion order for JQ they have tipped over AUD $2 billion into self enrichment with amazingly well timed executive options fuelled by excessive share buy backs. Thanks Tio
  3. 17 January 2018 The International Council of Clean Transportation (ICCT) Graver and Rutherford study detailed how poorly Qantas perform across the Pacific. That the study was route specific seemed to be what Qantas countered with. With the exception of a handful of isolated routes, ETOPS covers the whole network. Thus a fleet of wide body twins lowers CASK (fuel included) and importantly saves CO2. A point seemingly unknown in the curiously named "campus"
  4. 15 February 2018 S&P called the patent absurdity of share buy backs with deteriorating fleet metrics.
  5. 9 July 2018 Roger Montgomery stated that Qantas had poor fleet metrics and required a Cap Ex of AUD $1.7 billion just to keep the fleet age from deteriorating. In 2015 the 'transformation year' the fleet age was 7.7 years. At the time of publication it was 10.2 years. It is now 10.7 years.
  6. 28 November 2018 Little Napoleon celebrates ten years in the job. He certainly transformed the aviation industry, particularly with respect to executive remuneration.

Qantas wanders ever closer to the lee shore whilst Little Napoleon stands proudly holding the wheel, resplendent in his OAM for 'services' to aviation and tourism. Precisely what services and to whose benefits his efforts were directed was not disclosed. It is increasingly obvious the ship is rudderless.

Qantas need new management.

Last edited by Rated De; 18th Jan 2019 at 09:40.