PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Army To Update Chinook Fleet
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2019, 19:42
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SASless
Had we had a far less flammable type in ‘69....I would not have the “Claim to Flame” I do!

Fewer scars too!

That stuff burns hot when fanned by 100 Knot winds!
Pressurized hydraulic fluid and open flame do have a destructive history together. Many improvements to hydraulic fluids have been made over the years, but no hydraulic fluid will ever be ideal. That's just one of the justifications for moving away from centralized hydraulic systems in later generation combat aircraft. Replacement of hydraulics with electric actuation is the future trend in combat aircraft. Fighters first, helicopters and other tactical aircraft to follow.

I'm glad you were able to make it through your particular ordeal. I had a battalion commander in Germany who got burned up pretty thoroughly as a young Lt after being shot down in an OH-6 in Viet Nam. I always had a great deal of respect for him. Not only because of what he did to end up that way, (attempting to rescue his crew chief from the burning wreck) but also for what he went through to make it back to flight status and continue his Army career. He called himself "The Army poster-child for fire safety" or words to that effect. He had a sense of humor about being dubbed "Freddy Kruger" by some of kiddies in the unit too.

Any very small burns I've ever experienced don't even begin to compare, so I can only imagine. And respect.