PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tupolev TU 144 or Concorde? Museum-Germany
Old 17th Jan 2019, 11:28
Autobahnstormer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My (then) brother-in-law was working at Baden, formerly CFB Baden, when it landed on it's final flight. The pilot did two flypasts to satisfy the tens of thousands of spectators who had gathered to watch it land. The crowds were nearly as large when it was transported by road at the dead of night, the wings outboard of the engines and fin were removed but it was still a tight squeeze under the Autobahn bridges which were lined with thousands of spectators.

I visited the Museum about a month after it had arrived and it was complete again but not yet in its final position on the roof of the museum. I overheard a German visitor remark in amazement how wonderful an aircraft that the French built - naturally I was forced to correct him, that it was an Anglo-French project and BA were still flying them. I felt quite smug afterwards...

Finally, there is a full-sized Concorde replica at the Leo Junior Museum at Hermeskeil, it is used as the cafe but still impressive as you arrive at the museum to see a Concorde sitting outside.