PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slingsby Type 31/ Cadet TX Mk.3
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2019, 09:28
Olympia463

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We seem to moving on to a general and personal history of the T31 so I can add my bit I think. In 1964 or thereabouts the ATC squadron a Meir in Staffordshire was disbanded. Several of the instructors were colleagues of mine at English Electric Stafford and they suggested to EE that they might add gliding to the sports activities funded by the company. This did not get any support from the bean counters, and so they put it about that maybe a private BGA gliding club might be an alternative. Long story short, this is how I got into serious gliding, having had a passenger ride at Great Hucklow back in '57. We raised the money, bought a T31, a second hand winch from the Derby and Lancs, and a Govt surplus Landrover. The airfield at Meir belonged to the Council and had a Robin hangar on it and some very scruffy huts. Off we went with about 30 ab-initios and all the ex ATC instructors . We used the ATC syllabus (why not?) and we were divided into batches of six. I was in batch one and was first member to solo after 30 launches (what do you mean you are not ready? -off you go!). We had about twenty or so people solo in about 6 months. A very strong technical committee was formed (I was made CTO since I was Chief Mechanical Designer LIMD EE Co and had a big office where we could hold meetings) to look after all the maintenance, and as time went on we designed and built our own winch, and acquired a Tutor and an Olympia2B. Nearly all that first batch became instructors eventually, and the club is still operating (I left EE in 1969 for a bigger job and went on to Husbands Bosworth) though not at Meir which is now a housing estate. I flew T31, T21, Capstan, Ka2, Ka7, Bocian, and K13 and much later ASK21. 2000+ trips as instructor. I owe my whole flying career to that T31.