PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 16th Jan 2019, 21:58
JPJP

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DropYourSocks
Hiya JPJP,

I didn't mean to upset you, so I apologize. It is actually very common though for not just personnel, but the airline's themselves to refer to themselves by their code. For example, Skywest is OO, and I think Expressjet is XJT. CommutAir is C5. I figured it would be appropriate, since this is a thread about working in the US. Those who don't know what it is need only ask, but they'll have to learn it eventually, especially when they're doing some research on airlinepilotcentral.

You didn’t upset me DYS. I don’t usually quote Top Gear when I’m upset. As DUXNUTZ says, the habit seems to be fashionable amongst a small percentage of new regional pilots.

Originally Posted by DUXNUTZ
Remember that at the job fairs, guys introducing themselves by the airline code. Not many but a few. Found it very odd.
A brand new Skywest pilot asked for a jumpseat recently. He introduced himself as ‘BillyBob* from double oh’. The FO said - whatthefuk is a double oh ? BillyBob was horrified that nobody wanted to play the game. The point is this; we’re in the Australia forum. Most don’t know what C5 or OO means. A lot don’t care. If your goal is to educate, then perhaps use the real name at least once ?

I do appreciate the education though. I’ve been flying in the States for around 20 years. Two regionals, and one of the four large passenger majors for 13 years. Thanks for filling me in.

Originally Posted by Chill
@JPJP - wots to be embarrassed about airline codes mate, you shud get out more [img]images/smilies/badteeth.gif You might have to be the embarrassed one for bringin' it up [img]https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/images/smilies/nerd.gif A lot of carrier staff use their IATA (2 letter) or ICAO (3 letter) codes... EK, EY, QR, BA, KLM, AF, LH, SQ/SIA, TG, CX, KA, MH/MAS, AK, KAL, HX are pretty common and sometimes AA & UA. Even QF and VA (when it isn't Quaint-a$$ or the Flying Rat).

Lol. There’s a lot to unpack there. I thank you as well for the education. You’ve been in the Asian jungles for a long time it seems, so I won’t question your worldliness. One of the reasons they refer to KLM, as KLM - It’s written on the side of thefukin airplane The rest, I’ll leave alone. Stay cool.

* I made his name up to protect him from himself