PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL advice, full time or distance
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2019, 20:47
GoProPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATPL advice, full time or distance

Hi Guys need advice from both parties please, full time classroom guys and distance, but full time.

I am finishing an Aircraft Engineering degree in June and have completed, passed all EASA B1.1 engineering modules.

Option 1 ) I live in the south of UK and FTA Shoreham is near me. I was thinking of full time ATPL, course is £4200, doesn't inc exams as far as i'm aware so 70*14= 980 looking at £5,200 and 6 months. I wont pay accommodation as parent has reluctantly accepted me back after having me away for four years!

Option 2) Live at home, full time distance learning with Bristol.

My main question is: Given that results are quite important to airlines and that I have forgotten most PPL ground school as that was 7 years ago, would you recommend full time class or distance full time..

I have listed below the engineering exams, please say if you think they cross over/should breeze them, I am thinking I might be quicker in modular if there is plenty of overlap. however torn between the safety net of full time class and getting higher exam results. Do instructors in full time theory wizz over parts that are not usually common exam questions and focus on material that is likely to come up?

M1 Maths

M2 Physics

M3 Electrical Fundamentals Topics include generation of electricity, magnetism, generators, transformers and motors.

M4 Electronic Fundamentals

M5 Digital techniques EFIS NAV GPS etc including electronic instrument systems, logic circuits, fibre optics and digital aircraft systems

M6 Materials and Hardware

M7 Maintenance Practices

M8 Aerodynamics

M9 Human Factors

M10 Aviation Legislation

M11* Aeroplanes, Aerodynamics, Structures & Systems (Theory of flight, airframe structures, air conditioning,hydraulic, instruments, power, lights, and on-board maintenance systems

M15* Gas Turbine Engines

M17 Propellers