PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'No blame' Over RAF Tornado Crash
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2019, 08:32
falcon900

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
DV's recent post caused me to revisit the incident report, and I was struck by the fact that the report was silent on the point made by 57mm above.
Even in a best case scenario, the route chosen was highly marginal for aircraft in Lima fit. That Blacksmith 2 came within 1 second of a similar fate surely proves the point, and we can all be thankful that we were saved from the horror of two fully serviceable RAF aircraft being lost one after the other due to CFIT on a routine training mission.
Surely the biggest contributor to this accident was the choice of route? Surely there was some form of review / sense check? Given all of the other checks and sign offs preflight, surely someone other than the crews had to approve this? Glen KInglass is hardly on the dark side of the moon, and must surely have been flown over/ through on many occasions by many fast jets. Its challenges must have been well understood corporately, such that there should have been an appreciation by all concerned that this flight would be pushing the boundaries to a considerable degree.
Despite the multiple acknowledgements of this after the event, I would have expected the report to make much more of the fact this wasnt identified beforehand.