PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 777 HYD QTY LOW C .
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2019, 23:54
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Cropduster
tdracer....
Are the EICAS pages airline customizable? In normal cruise the only engine parameters that ours display are N1 and EGT. To see the engine oil quantity we have to either select the ENG page on the lower EICAS or "trick" the system into displaying it on the upper EICAS. This is what I was chastised for.
Cheers cropduster
EICAS does have some customization options - on the original (767/757) there were some 'pin selects' - on the newer stuff there is an electronic file that can be uploaded to customize the display, but it's really limited in what it can change - e.g. units (most of what's displayed on EICAS is governed by the regulations and can't be changed). None of the options I'm aware of affect the oil quantity display (except perhaps units).
I guess I don't understand why you'd routinely fly round without lower EICAS displayed - is that something your operator dictates? From the designer point of view, the "upper only" compacted display is there to cover failures, not something you'd routinely use. I frankly can't understand why displaying and checking the full 'normal' upper and lower EICAS display would be discouraged. Originally, the EICAS displays were CRTs, and the CRTs would wear out, so some operators discouraged routinely using both EICAS screens to preserve CRT life. But the 777 has always used LCD displays that last almost forever - there is no reason not to use both displays.