PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-9
Thread: Luton-9
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2019, 21:50
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by _aax1

Absoulte rubbish. It’s a good will gesture to show these European workers they make a valuable contribution to the airport, our society and economy.

The truth is, airport pay is good compared to other unskilled jobs in other industries, the issue with Stansted is unemployement in the local area is one of the lowest in the country. Nothing to do with your unsourced, political statement.

What are you on, as you haven’t got a clue. Suggest you visit the airport’s annual job fair. I have been to it for the last 2 years to have a look around and I can tell you zero hour contracts or 10 to 20 hour contracts, if you are lucky, are the name of the game at Luton. People take the work in the hope that they will be offered extra hours but the staff turnover rates are massive and next to no company seems to pay the living wage when I visited but there are always new workers looking for jobs.

My son worked at the airport for 6 months and would be called in for 3 or 4 hour shifts or not at all. This was based on a 24/7 pattern but was an 18 hour contract although he was usually offered more hours but not always.

As for unskilled what do you call unskilled? Anyone working on the apron has a level of skill in my eyes. How about a dispatcher, are they unskilled? My airside driving pass and even airport pass involved exams and study, then there was job training which also involved examinations.

Last edited by LTNman; 16th Jan 2019 at 12:13.