PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 777 HYD QTY LOW C .
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2019, 03:32
Cropduster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tdracer....

Are the EICAS pages airline customizable? In normal cruise the only engine parameters that ours display are N1 and EGT. To see the engine oil quantity we have to either select the ENG page on the lower EICAS or "trick" the system into displaying it on the upper EICAS. This is what I was chastised for.

I get what you are saying about trouble shooting but I don't think that noticing a slow engine oil or hydraulic leak in a more timely manner, and thus allowing a more commercially suitable diversion is anywhere near ad hoc troubleshooting. In fact, if you can get it on the ground before you have to shut it down it is far safer and also preserves the fleets ETOPS reliability. If the quantities are not displayed, some really sophisticated software could monitor the rate of change. But why not just display the quantities of what could leak out in flight. The screens certainly have the room. But I object to the philosophy of flying along fat dumb and happy until a message appears saying "O'h by the way, you are almost out of oil and may have to take everyone for an unscheduled stop in outer Mongolia!"

I guess it is just what you are used to. For the last dozen or so years I got used to seeing this information and subconsciously incorporating it into a cockpit scan.

Cheers cropduster