PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carlisle-2
Thread: Carlisle-2
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2019, 17:51
nighthawk117

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EGPO
Well it's looking doubtful , one would have thought that bookings would need to start being taken.
That said the sudden addition of a Jersey route at HUY at random , and the out of usual timing of releasing timetables and bookings for the sadly short lived MME where at short notice .
It's possible, but still makes me laugh how that Stobart ' manager ' , ( Had Stobart Air ID ) told us that they'd offered , easyJet the sane deal they'd offered at Southend ( Eg free ).
Maybe he was unaware of the planning restrictions unless they plan to alter it .
But as for filling one when they can't even get Loganair to start makes me think he'd been smoking something .
Especially his next remark " we are talking to another Irish Carrier ", and others .
Well the runway might be long enough , it has not got the Nav aids has it? And last time I was there taking progress photos of the runway , I looked to the other side of the lane against the end of the runway furthest from the Tower and no sign. Of approach lights( unless I missed them ).
I think it would be a real kick in the teeth for Cumbria , as it does have potential to bring in inbound tourism via Southend .
( Quicker than rail but again. Still a long way from the lakes ).
Would they have better upgrading Walney ? At least that is on the edge of the lakes .
I find it odd they use Carlisle ' lake District' Airport as the name .
As for Loganair , they do t seem to operate like other airlines so your as well burning a fiver rather than placing a bet on flights this year !.
Carlisle does indeed have approach lights, they were built a few months after the runway was opened to traffic.
The runway at Carlisle has quite a large displaced threshold, which reduces the usable runway length quite considerably. I'm not sure that it can physically accommodate a 737/A319 with the current displaced threshold - certainly not with any kind of meaningful load. Even if it could - the planning permission contained a restriction limiting aircraft type to "ATR72/Avro RJ100 or similar". That would need to be overturned before a 737 can operate from CAX.

I did indeed find it interesting that they mentioned they'd offered Easyjet a similar deal. They also mentioned they were talking to a few airlines about flights to Spain. A blatant lie, or does the left hand not know what the right is doing? It seems they are trying to sell something they legally cannot deliver. Either that or just lying to the community to try and get them on side...

I'm not sure what you mean by "As for Loganair , they do t seem to operate like other airlines " - can you elaborate on this?