PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mont Blanc helicopter rescue
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2019, 14:12
Guide_Jim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimf671
My understanding is that these guys have a very detailed understanding of the geometry at the front of this type for exactly this kind of op.

Moving before winching is complete? Normal in their patch. They are normally working at altitude and seem to be searching for translational lift at every opportunity. Have a look at some of their online videos and you'll see they are routinely winching out on approach and doing a very quick insertion as though it were a longline. Similar but in reverse during recoveries.

It's not what is normally done in some other territories but it's not the same conditions either. I've met a few of these guys and listened to their presentations about specific rescues. They present as very professional and they have a niche way of working for the conditions they encounter on their patch.
I would hope they understand the geometry, especially as this is a pretty standard manoeuvre for the PGHM. My understanding having visited them in the last few years is that this a/c (Chocas 74) has modified skids for this purpose.

Can't comment on the relative advantages of winching vs setting down skid light, but would make the observation that this is common in Chamonix at least.

What I do find interesting is the amount of Social Media coverage this has received. Of course it's comes purely down to outcome as to where this is perceived as positive or negative. Sadly, it would probably go viral in either case(!)...