PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA again
Thread: EASA again
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2019, 06:21
Bjoste

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought I'd step into the discussion, as I came by surprise to that business.

@cessnapete: Did you ever actually talk to EASA on your wish, and if, to which person (feel free to PN if you don't like to expose the person to public)? I mean EASA, not Garmin!

-----------------------------
You can’t use the Private Messaging system, add url links or images until you have an established posting history.
-----------------------------------------

Just from my experience, since 2017 in STC business, EASA operations does a tremendously good job! Don't talk of the political games one level up and above. Working on a daily basis with EASA Certificate Delivery (yes, that is their name and they do) is a relative treat. A short while after my first installation I even started selling consulting services for EASA use of US STC and encounter very good relationship management since. Actually, I am a happy customer of one of cessnapete's 'inferior' autopilots. The EASA legal status was approved very few month after the FAA STC got issued. The delay was not caused by administration, but company production start challenges.

The new initiatives from FAA are by far not proven and established system. It is a a new and sometimes challenging approval ride with daily surprises plus frequent telephone talks to the FAA. EASA is fairly open and eager to adopt as quick as they can. In this case I am with chickenhouse and definitely look at Garmin, not EASA. Yes, their products usually offer a little bit more functionality along the old navigational aids. If you really need i.e. NDB coupling to the autopilot, Yes, of course, wait for Garmin as it is the broader product. But, if you prioritize on GPS(S/V), envelope protection and maybe even fitting a first autopilot to enable longer distance GA travel, take a close look at the already available products.

Yes, it is all about $$$$$. But the new kids on the block already changed part of the game for the better of us and EASA is a helping hand, definitely not one to blame!