PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type ratings. Teach manual flying first then introduce automation. No brainer..
Old 8th Jan 2019, 08:52
Sidestick_n_Rudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did my A320 rating in Toulouse back in 2011 and there was surprisingly much of raw data flying and Alternate/Direct Law. I was very happy with the training and changed my attitude towards Airbus, which had been very skeptical.

Later I did A330 add on rating in an Airline and it was very automatics oriented. I almost couldn’t touch the controls until session no3...

Recently I did 787 conversion at Boeing an they were very reserved about trying out things. My impression was they had paranoia about being sued for training something wrong in case of a crash. All the time I heard “we don’t teach this a Boeing”, or “we teach procedures, not techniques”, you can’t try this, you can’t try that. No manual thrust, no high crosswinds etc. We did raw data approach once as it’s a part of EASA curriculum. Apparently it is not a part of FAA curriculum, so the Americans don’t even train that anymore.