PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type ratings. Teach manual flying first then introduce automation. No brainer..
Old 7th Jan 2019, 20:31
mustangsally

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a general idea, I think that is great. Manual flying is a lost art. The reason manual flying is not emphasized comes at how much training time do we commit to this activity. Training hours equates to cost. When learning a new system the automation needs to be learned to the extreme. Repeated training of the automation till learned and understood. The other problem comes from culture. The 777 accident at SFO and other demonstrate the respect of seniority in certain cultures. CRM training is designed to recognize that, but also to speak up repeatedly with emphasis and even insults if necessary. Rather talk about it with the crew after the fact than with the accident board. Many years ago after completing ground and simulator for the 747, again it was all on the automation. Went to IOE. First leg was a demo by the training pilot, he had flew it all the way to 350 and continued for another five or ten minutes. I commented that was beautiful. His comment back was you can try it on the next leg. I did and boy it I learn a whole lot.