PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I don't know what to do!
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2019, 16:55
CapitalB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kejim
Banana Joe makes a good point, do the PPL, then see how you feel about the flying (and the theory, the step up from PPL theory to the ATPL theory is a bit steep). When you have your PPL you know more about what it takes, and you open other options, eg. instructor ratings. I would also recommend looking at air traffic controller training, however some countries have age limits for applying, some don't.

The best of luck
German Age limits here are 24 if I remember correctly.

I've started my training just before turning 28 and decided to do it integrated and as quick as possible so I could focus completely on it. Although I've went to university before and got a few degrees that I could potentially fall back on if things went haywire. So while not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to just not make any money for 2 years and go to flying school full time it is important to put the numbers together and see what you could make / save while working your present job. In my case it would've even been alright to take the whole amount (Training + Living Expenses for roughly 24 months) from the bank with the interest rate they offered me in late 2017. Obviously this is quite the gamble and if you don't have a job or income to fall back on in case things don't work out as planned... well you'll have to figure that out yourself!

After all tho I'm not regretting getting into the field that I dreamed about so long and with the current situation looking quite alright things could definitely be worse. If you really want to do it there'd be the option of getting into Lufthansa as Cabin Crew as well, get to know what real commercial flying is really about (the PPL doesn't really show you any of that IMHO) and do some flying on the side and maybe the ATPL integrated after you got your PPL.