PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southend-2
Thread: Southend-2
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2019, 08:27
Expressflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 737aviator
Is SEN just getting standard grooving or will the runway be certified 'WSR'. Only a damp standard grooved runway can be considered dry for purposes of calculations. But WSR is a different beast and is prob required to keep the show on the road when the rain comes.
RYR quite happily operate in and out of Dortmund which has a LDA of 1700m, prob the shortest LDA in the existing network. But it has certification for WSR which makes a big difference.
The shortest I've operated quite a bit in to is in the region of 1800m and yes when wet and full pax its quite limiting in how much extra fuel one can have so 1600 is gonna be fun, especially combined with narrow runway ops!
The resurfacing of SEN's runway, which starts this week, does seem to include having a skid-resistant surface layer in addition to grooving. the Possehl Antiskid website describes the process but I cannot find anything regarding the "certification" of such a runway or if any tangible commercial benefits accrue. Can you supply any information on that either by posting here or perhaps sending me a PM?

TCAS FAN
Maybe having a skid-resistant surface to supplement the grooving will improve the potential for A321 operations, although I do find GJ's statement surprising even so.