PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick Drone and the Regiment
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2019, 20:03
handleturning

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pax britanica
If the Government as whole, MOD Dept of transport and branches of the military along with the owners of LHR and LGW all behaved in a tardy and inefficient manner then it surely will result in a mass cover up as they all back each other up. It is however very much an example of UL 2018/9 that people do not do the bleedin' obvious usually because some accountant has ruled theres no business case for it or it doesnt 'drive incremental revenues' (and therefore my bonus as CEO where spending a few million is a cost and that negatively affects my businesses as CEO. In fact it probably a certainty that neither CEO has 'keep airport operating in all reasonable circumstances as an objective anyway' . Protection from drones is certainly within today's world of reasonable circumstances.

I do not blame the military that much though, they do what they are asked and if no one asked them to prepare for this threat it is not their fault but it does show a stunning degree of unpreparedness for something thats been discussed on here -just one example-for years.
Bit harsh really. There are of companies claiming a counter drone capability, but it's a fairly fragile offering that often takes little account of the complex environment. For example, I've met plenty of manufacturers' who think it's ok to rock up at Heathrow with a jammer. Plenty f work has been done and no doubt it will now accelerate, but there's no point solving one problem if it causes a bigger one.