PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOA versus pitch
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2019, 11:04
jimjim1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedwinner
But how can the pitch be 10° and the aoa much higher? I mean the airfoil represents approximately the structure of the aircraft.
SW
I think that the key thing here is that the airspeed was very low. The aircraft was not flying. More like falling while pointing slightly up.

With the high AoA and a normal airspeed structural failure would seem quite likely. In this case structural failure was avoided since the transition to high AoA occurred at low airspeed. Then the high drag consequent from the high AoA held the airspeed low. My (compete guess) is that for a given airspeed the maximum force on the wings would be generated before the wing stalled at about 15 degrees AoA.

As I recall, to be very brief, some airspeed indicator(s) failed, the flying pilot held nose-up-stick until the actual airspeed fell (and with it the lift), and then held the stick back as the aircraft descended with a high AoA, and indeed with the nose above the horizon. Everyone sat about looking at each other until it was too late to recover. I can't recall exactly but they only had a minute or two to decide what to do. Six miles at two or three miles a minute.

The cockpit environment was very confusing of course, especially for the non-flying pilots.

Here are some examples of Differing pitch attitudes and AoA.

Sadly pprune does not allow youtube links with time offsets so you will have to sort that out yourself to see images in context.

I am assuming that there are no camera tricks and that the camera provides an accurate horizontal reference. Considering the whole video this seems a reasonable assumption. I have never been an aerobatics pilot and have estimated the AoA (and pitch). I think the numbers are good enough to illustrate the point. The AoA can be estimated from the smoke trails although of course there are various wing tip vortices messing around with the smoke I think the images are sufficient to get a decent idea of what is going on.

Pitch -90 AoA +25

Pitch +30 AoA +25

Pitch +45 AoA +30

Pitch +12 AoA +30
This is quite like the pitch and AoA of AF 447. If this aircraft had a low airspeed here at it's low altitude it would surely crash. As it is the airspeed is sufficient and the airframe can operate at the high angle of attack. See leading edge droops.

Pitch +5 AoA -15
Check pitch - I have never flown inverted and I am not sure if I am describing the pitch correctly. Nose seems above horizon and so I think pitch is +ve.

Images all from this video.