PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 5th Jan 2019, 23:58
flying-spike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ralphi
Hi Flyer4040, Hi from the US o A

I just did a FAA examiner search for Oz and found 8 first class examiners. I personally used Pritti Bhatt at Syd Aviation Medicine for my first FAA medical, was $220. She was great

However when I did my interviews I did NOT hold a FAA first grade medical, only the CASA class one. I just said I would get one if they offered me a job as I already had the CASA one which is a bit more stringent.

Only investments I made prior were the $14 for the ETSA to travel to US for interview and a Sheppard Air prep course (about $45) to get ready for the interview.

Why on earth would you consider Mesa though? I had offers from Mesa and Skywest, but went for Piedmont as they have a much better reputation than Mesa, yesterday I flew to Lexington KY with a Captain who spent 2 years at Mesa prior to Piedmont and confirmed the industry talk, he is very glad not to be there now. Suggest you check out the US airline forums as there is a lot of info there. (google the "mesa board pilot sleep" it was famous for a while here)

Part of my choice was getting free flights to from Aust many times during interview and training by working for a wholly owner carrier (PDT is part of American so they have daily flights to Australia). I was able to spend any off time in training in Australia this way, and also relocate my family for almost nothing

feel free to PM me if you need more or ask away.

R
just be aware that if you have any medical issues that might require a special issuance from the FAA that the process can be long and arduous. You don’t want to rock up on course waiting for the FAA, trust me. Indeed the airline most likely won’t let you start unless you have it. An FAA validation of your class 1 does not cut it either. That only allows you to fly VH rego in the States