PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sir Arthur 'Bomber' Harris - Butch or Butcher?
Old 5th Jan 2019, 21:58
ex82watcher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My former girlfriend's uncle was an engine fitter in the RAF during the 2nd WW,sadly he died about 10 years ago.But he told me that,along with a rigger,he was detached to a small airfield at Lacey Green in Buckinghamshire,where they were billeted in a farmhouse.They were sent there to look after a couple of light aircraft provided for the use of Arthur Harris,firstly an Auster,and then a Stinson (Reliant ?) 'given' to him by the Americans.They did daily inspecions,refuelling and prop-swinging when required My uncle,for that is what I called him was also required to fly with Harris at times to carry out similar tasks at the destination.But also he sometimes travelled with him in his car.He told of one occasion when they were travelling rather quickly around the back lanes at night,when they were flagged down by the police,The policeman cautioned Harris,and said that if he continued to drive in that manner he would end up killing someone! Wherupon Harris drew himself up and said "Constable, MY JOB IS TO KILL PEOPLE"

After D-day he went over to europe,presumably to carry on with his duties there,and at one stage was billeted in the stables at versailles,where his job was to dismanle a V1 flying bomb for
shipment back to the UK.

Last edited by ex82watcher; 6th Jan 2019 at 08:39.