PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 5th Jan 2019, 13:19
Newbi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Becoming a pilot.

Dear all,

​​​​​​I am sure this has been asked many times and infact answered many times throughout the journey of this forum. However, if you could take the time to answer for my specifics it would be greatly appreciated. I did look at the stickys and wondered if posts or replies from 2013 could perhaps be outdated? I'm not going to waste your time telling you my story since I've already wasted enough time.

So I finished mech engineering and now I want to be a pilot. I want to do it ASAP so preferably a fully integrated course as I'm already 24. My father can pay for it but obviously, cheaper the better. I've spoken to a few pilots and they all point towards America. I am from the UK so that would mean I need to do a conversion course which i am not fussed about but, however I've recieved mixed answers from a few people I know. Some say conversion courses cost no money but a bit of time and some say it is really expensive and not worth it. I really cannot see doing it in the UK and paying up to 95k when doing it in America could be as cheap as 50k. Obviously accommodation and food needs to considered into the overall payments. So I really would like someone experienced to shed some light into this please.

Furthermore, if America is the most optimal place to do it, or wherever it is, would someone mind shedding some light into any good academies that I should be looking into? And before anyone asks, this is the only thing I want to do. The pilots I spoke to said there is a "shortage of pilots in the near future" but of course I won't go forward fully dependent on that. I want to go forward as I'm sure this is the only thing I want to do. Sorry about the long post and thank you very much for reading.

Kind regards,

Newbi
​​​​