PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Being Bonded TCS
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2019, 12:56
737 Jockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by basedpilot
Thank you for replying chaps,

Well I totally agree with your point Falling_Penguin, it does really come down to the fact that simply put; do I want to instruct as an FI for 3 years or not. They are just simply covering all their costs and financially protecting themselves.
Whether or not i really want the job is something I can't get my head around really. I have found two positions on the RHS of a wide jet where i self finance the TR, but I do not have 30,000 to fork out.

My issue with instructing is that it isn't really commercially oriented flying and it's mostly just traffic circuits and VFR training. I'm not sure how much instructing is going to be beneficial in this day and age where MPL programmes are becoming more of a thing and where we have an influx of fresh fATPL students flooding the industry every year who are fresh out of school with their MCCs complete, heck why would anyone want a bloke whos been doing but nothing except single engine flying a cessna for the passed 3 years?

What would you guys do? Anyone know how to secure a loan for 20,000 EUR in this day and age?

If you’re not sure that becoming an FI is for you, you shouldn’t do it.

Firstly, you may not enjoy the job and then be stuck for 3 years with the bond.

Second, it’s unfair on the employer to have invested in you and pay you, if your heart is not in it.

Finally, it would be unfair to trainee Pilots who would be paying significant sums of money for a professional standard of training, which they may not receive if you do not have the right attitude. I’m not assuming you are unfit to instruct, but based on what you’ve said, it sounds like you’d be doing yourself and everyone else a disservice. Teaching/training in any field/subject requires skill, knowledge and dedication to do the job properly, and shouldn’t be entered into half-heartedly. That’s my humble opinion anyway, and I speak as a former FI and current TRE.

There are other options in U.K./Europe at the moment.

Best of luck with your career.