PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sao Paulo R44 crash
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2019, 07:01
Hot and Hi

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MightyGem
Why lack of fuel?
Having watched the video, I would say that lack of fuel is on the shortlist, because:
  • Aircraft was going 60 to 70 KTS (see 0:20 sec)
  • Aircraft was able to take-off and climb OK, even steep-turn just after take off. All of which require more power than flying straight & level at 70 KTS.
  • From 0:20 to loss of power, the aircraft continued to go straight & level, and more or less the same speed (as evidenced by the view out of the right rear window).
  • There seem to be no reduction of RRPM *while the engine was running* before the Low RRPM warning horn. In other words, I don't see the loss of RRPM induced by running out of throttle.
  • Rather, it appears that the donkey got quiet (0:51), and thereafter the RRPM dropped.
I would say amongst the (few) things that can make a Lycoming stop, fuel starvation or fuel contamination are on top of the list. The investigation should provide certainty.

There should also be 2 more video (left front pax and the action camera mounted to the canopy). With some luck the front pax video has some more instrument readings, and certainly will better show what other options the pilot might have had after entering autorotation.