PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bathurst races this weekend
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2003, 23:09
duke of duchess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I liked the motorway thing, you just left one thing out after the toll gates the lanes then merge back into one lane (i.e msa, holding alt etc) so you are now merging with all that traffic into the one lane and doing all this whilst you have NO visability and travelling at a couple of hundred km/h. fun huh let me try:P

in 2000 gps npa's were still very new i don't think many GA aircraft had equipment approved for them at that stage.

I could be wrong here as it was a few years ago and i only heard about it after the event from the guys at bth when i was doing my bankrun (and we all know how bankrunners and couriers exagerate) but didn't the lear miss out also, good to see that the High tech equipment saved him all that money!!! saved haveing to hold! just did a missed app then shot across to bk for more fuel, pitty he didn't have the perscribed seperation.

No legislation in the regs hey, look closer, it may not specifically talk about approaches but there is stuff on seperation, and manouvering below the msa whilst in IMC which some clown recomended everyone do to get out of the lears way.

come on, you guys are an embarrasment to proffesional pilots if you think that this sort of thing is ok, how was he going to ensure seperation from the other aircraft in the approach???? must have had those Xray vision gogles, shame they didn't help him see the ground at the minima. If the airfield has 2 different approaches that DONT conflict fine do one while some one else does another but there aren't many of those around.

if he was proffesional and wanted to do the gps appr here is an idea, talk to the blokes in the stack on the way in, reduce speed to arrive at the IAF at a time that allows the next aircraft to do the app and have the next aircraft hold 1000ft above the msa so if you do miss out you arent trying to dodge the other guy with a blind fold on, slowing down also allows you to reduce power whilst high to help out on the fuel situation, which could have been a contributing factor to the rushed approach.