PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Realistic threat from Drones
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2019, 09:41
GlenQuagmire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MacBoero
Perhaps this might offer an insight into the comparative damage risk between drones and birds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH0V7kp-xg0
Nope - that was the one bit of video that I could find and it is a drone fired at 238 mph into a mooney wing. The result of that research was that it wouldn't bring down a mooney. My point was that I have seen no research at all for an airliner. Nothing hitting an airliner wing, nothing going through a jet engine, nothing hitting a windscreen. If the aircraft manufacturers think that drones present a significantly greater risk than bird they are acting in an entirely reckless way by not backing that up with research. If the various aviation authorities around the world believe that a drone could bring down an airliner and are prepared to shut a major international airport for 30 hours without any apparent significant research to back that up I am amazed!

Has anyone fired a drone through a jet engine? Can anyone post a link? Is there any evidence based research around at all that doesn't rely on a thirty year old light aircraft?