PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why...?
Thread: Why...?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2019, 02:48
Sam Ting Wong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I totally agree with avinthenews, it would be great to have the rostering tool you mention. I also agree with you that the offer is not good. The difference between your and my position is not the target itself, it is the evaluation of our leverage, the assumed willingness of the company to give in and, crucially, the assessment of the risk involved. That's it.

Additionally we differ on the evaluation of the status quo. In my opinion we tend to cherry pick when it comes to conditions at other employers. I don't see Cathay as that bad in an over-all comparison. There might be extreme outlyers in terms of money, there might be better rostering systems, fleet transfer possibilities etc, but if you guys would look downwards as well you would notice a grueling abyss. The reality in most cases today is very low pay, huge taxes, low-cost ops, no housing, slave-like conditions if you are a contractor etc. The truth is that the big bucks are out of reach now in most cases. With a green card and 25 years of seniority maybe, but then I would argue that every captain in Cathay with the same seniority makes at least as much, probably more. Universal tax is a problem for Americans, but this should have been a consideration before becoming an expat, hardly the responsibility of the company. I would argue that in most cases people resign from Cathay because they or their partner doesn't like Hong Kong or because airlines in their home country started to recruit again. Again, hardly the fault of the company. If you are on a base and stuck, I would argue that this was always the deal, everyone who joined this company knew commands are in HK and basings a big maybe. If you lost your base just the same , this was and is a risk every individual has to or should have considered. The new conditions from 2019 onwards, as well as HKPA, are what they are. Nobody was or is forced to accept them.

The industry at a whole is in a constant downward trend and there is no escape.

I disagree with Slasher that those who are willing to accept a deal are selfish, nor would I criticise anyone for acting in self-interest. It's just rational behaviour. We all are acting the way we expect to gain the most, but simply have either a different base line, different expectations or different risk scenarios. Voting no does not make you a better person.

I totally respect your positions, maybe it will work in the end, who knows. I just think it is not worth the risk. All I am asking for is to respect other viewpoints as well and please let's keep the discussion civilized and rational.

Last edited by Sam Ting Wong; 4th Jan 2019 at 04:00.