PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EFB and W&B
Thread: EFB and W&B
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 23:57
john_tullamarine

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts
What more can I possibly do than use the “poorly designed” graphical system?

If you are a line pilot (which I don't believe you are from what I understand) then, not much. If you know a bit more than the average line pilot, maybe you can raise your hand to management and ask for a more appropriate loading system .. a good one is not much different in preparation workload than a bad one .. just takes a bit of interest and understanding.

And if the electronic system is confirmed as producing the same results as the “poorly designed” graphical system, in what possible ways can I gain experience sufficient to “cut the mustard”

It's a case of who purports to determine the adequacy of the electronic system. As djpil observed, sometimes the ostensibly you beaut, whizz bang , with all the bells and whistles app is a crock. Like the previous observation, the poor old line pilot is left a bit out in the cold and can't do much more than follow what the company puts in front of him/her. Certainly, the average line pilot will not be able to establish whether the app is good, bad, or indifferent.

Looking at some of the trimsheets out there, some are so dreadful as to be culpable. Some examples can be found in a thread on an Oz theory training site (https://www.bobtait.com.au/forum/rpl...g?limitstart=0).

If you (or anyone else) would like to up the personal ante to the point where you can review and assess loading systems, then you need to do some homework and study. Nothing terribly difficult but it needs to be done to acquire the competence. Judging by numerous comments over the years, I think I can say that some pilots have a very basic understanding of weight and balance .. and that, only, on a good day.

Why else did I pay someone a lot of money to put a current and approved graphical W&B system in the flight manual?

Ah .. now there's a problem identified. The WCO system, since inception, has been a bit average when it comes to loading systems. The rulebook (CAO 100.28) addresses light aircraft weighing and the simplest of loading systems. Unfortunately, many WCOs have had too much delegation when it comes to loading systems and are, frankly, way out of their technical depth. Indeed, CASA has a project on the go to address, inter alia, this problem. See https://www.casa.gov.au/rules-and-re...cer-and-weight.