PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian B738 overrun at Entebbe 2019_01_03
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 22:00
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's an initial report on the preliminary cause of the mishap from local media with the customary fake news picture of the plane:

Initial Findings Point to Air Pocket as Cause of
Entebbe Airport Incident – Govt

Government has said that preliminary findings regarding Thursday’s incident at Entebbe
International Airport where an Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737-800 overshot the runway,
indicate that it was due to an airpocket.

The Ethiopian Airlines Flight No. ET 338, a Boeing 737-800 overshot the runway at
Entebbe airport on landing at 12.41am causing delays in inbound aircrafts.

The affected inbound international flights included Turkish Airlines, Kenya Airways,
Egypt Air and Rwanda Air, which all had incoming morning flights.

However, aircrafts of other air operators, which were on the ground before the incident
were able to depart.

The Minister for Works and Transport, Monica Azuba Ntege while addressing the press
at the airport on Thursday afternoon said that preliminary findings point to an air
pocket as the cause of the overshooting.

“I want to emphasize here, I have seen reports in the media that the plane crash landed.
What happened was overshooting,” the Minister said.

“Initial reports say that according to the pilot, as they were landing, they met what to me
I would refer to as an air pocket. They missed the touchline and landed a little bit off,”
she told journalists.

She said that the pilot of the aircraft was in touch with the airport staff.
In aviation, the colloquial term ‘air pocket’ refers to a jolt of turbulence. It also refers to
strong updraft, downdraft, or sudden fall in headwind or tailwind encountered by an aircraft
in flight.

The Minister revealed that she was set to institute a team, as required by international
aviation standards, to carry out a comprehensive investigation into the cause of Thursday’s
incident.

In line with international practice, Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) issued a Notice to Airmen
(NOTAM) temporarily stopping incoming flights from outside the country until after
the aircraft had been safely removed from the runway end.

The Minister said the NOTAM was issued at 6:40am after the personnel involved in
efforts to tow the aircraft realized they could no longer clear the runway in the anticipated
time.

“When it came to 6:40am, they realized they have to inform all the other aircrafts to let
them know that the runway safety was compromised. That is really the reason for the
NOTAM,” she said.

She lauded the stakeholders and staffers for a job well done to ensure the operations
resume in the shortest time possible.

https://www.softpower.ug/initial-fin...incident-govt/