PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimum IR Test Conditions
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 17:22
Council Van

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tescoapp
he first airfield was below IFR mins with RVR of 300m. In fact it was chosen because the examiner reckoned we won't have any problems getting an approach in there. He was right.. no traffic at all, into the hold, outbound round the procedure go around at NDB mins engine failure and head back.g
If the RVR was 300m to continue to NDB minimums would surely have been a FAIL unless the NDB MDA was exceptionally high meaning you had not continued past the altitude/location defining the approach ban when you went around? Corfu would fit the bill on a VOR approach MDA 2050ft.

The original poster mentions a cloud base of 3000ft.

When I did my IR back in 2000 it was a lot lower than that. Brisrol to Cardiff for a non precision approach with good vis below a very low cloud base of around 200ft. Back to Bristol for the ILS to visual with the cloud base being only a couple of hundred feet above that required for the circuit. We could not find a suitable location clear of cloud to do the upper air work so it was an incomplete test costing me another 40mins of expensive twin time the next day.

You have to assess the weather and decide if it is legal to operate the flight IFR. The examiner will decide if they feel the test is worth conducting from a practical perspective, don't go second guessing what they will decided. If the weather is marginal don't turn up thinking the test will not take place. Expect to fly.

Last edited by Council Van; 3rd Jan 2019 at 18:02.