PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimum IR Test Conditions
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 16:22
A320LGW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Okavango
Out of interest, what do people generally think is acceptably poor wx to cancel an IR test? I'm reckoning minimum visibility (for the examiner) of 1500m and similarly (for the examiner in general handling) a cloudbase of >3000ft (or SCT). The big one for discretion is >35kts winds aloft in the hold which I've trained in greater than though generally heard can/should be avoided for the test.
Isn't the IR exam intended to verify the student can operate in IFR conditions? Surface winds aside, if the visibility and cloud base are within the limits with no tendency to deteriorate rapidly, I see no reason as to why I wouldn't undertake the exam (if it's LIFR then give it some extra consideration, if it's showing a tendency to improve/decrease etc). For the wind, simply apply the necessary corrections in the hold - shouldn't be an issue the formula stays the same. And if the examiner is in anyway reasonable he will lower his expectations allowing for a reduction in accuracy correspondent with the magnitude of x wind component in the hold.