PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military accommodation not fit for animals
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 13:07
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
For those with far too much time on their hands....this link will take you to a document that pertains to the DOD's decision to be rid of "Temporary Buildings" constructed to accommodate the build up of American Forces during WWI....and later WWII.

It was a daunting task for Engineers during both Wars....as for example we went from a 270,000 Man Army in 1940 to an 8,270,000 Army in 1945.

Those Temporary Buildings were not designed for long term use.

We were still using a large number of them into the 1990's.

They were not built for creature comforts....just dry places for eating, sleeping, with the barest of toilet facilities.....no insulation and perhaps a Coal fired heat of some kind....that had to be hand fired.

After the War, there was a huge building project called "Capehart Housing" with the majority of that work being done in the 1950's.

The last of those Married Housing units were razed just a couple of years ago.

The current standard of married housing....is of a much higher quality and modern design.....although there still exists a large amount of the older units.

With the draw down of Force Numbers....the DOD actually began to Lease vacant housing to non-active duty persons to provide funds for maintenance for all of the housing.

With the improved funding of DOD under the new administration....those folks are slowly being evicted.

To put the Temporary Barracks thing into perspective....my Father's generation used them, I used them, and my Son would have used them, and possibly my Grand Son....for a building with a 2-4 Year design life.

Lap of luxury it were....I dream of having such a place yet today I do.....NOT!

We have our problems with military housing but are making good progress on the problem once again......due to the Money being available.