PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reports of A400 Crash, Saville, Spain
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 02:59
Forrest Black

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of the questions asked here in September 2018 have actually been answered in the full version of the Reuters report partially quoted in Post #296 in November 2017 ("Airbus knew of software vulnerability before A400M crash")

Originally Posted by KenV
I get that. But it's one thing to say: "Your aircraft did not get the latest software load and are therefore safe to fly," and an entirely different thing to say: "Any and all new software loads we give you in the future are guaranteed not to result in a similar failure." Absent a detailed accident report, what assurances do the current and future operators have that the guarantee is worth anything?
According to Reuters, there is a report, and they saw an extract of it. I'd guess that current and future operators will get access to the report, while you and me don't.

Originally Posted by Lynxman
A400M was built to EASA civil certification standards.
That's only the first step of the process. Based on the civil certification alone, the A400M isn't even allowed to carry any cargo or passengers. Actually, according to the Reuters report, one of the reasons for the accident was that Airbus and the engine manufacturer didn't agree on whether the engines were to be treated by civil or military standards.

Originally Posted by KenV
Why would the Spanish military be involved in this accident at all? The Spanish military has no design or engineering authority for this aircraft. It was never signed over to them so they don't have operating authority for this aircraft. No Spanish military personnel were at the controls, so there was not even peripheral Spanish military involvement in the flight. So why no Annex 13 investigation report?
The Spanish Dirección General de Armamento y Material (DGAM), a military authority, is responsible for the quality control at the final assembly line and issues export certificates, based on which the aircraft obtain their Airworthiness Certificates.

According to the Reuters report, Spanish officials say the A400M assembly line is a defense facility and not subject to civil rules.